CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 8, 2009

One-on-One with Kendall Griffin

One of the bright young stars in Indiana high school basketball is Avon sophomore shooting guard Kendall Griffin. The 6'5" tenth grader is leading the Orioles in both scoring and rebounding at 14.3 ppg and 7.3 rpg, and is one of the main reasons for Avon's big turnaround this season. They have already matched last year's win total of six, at 6-3 on the year (6-15 last season). Griffin has already begun to receive D1 college interest. In this interview, I talk to him about the team, his game, his goals, and recruiting.




P-Hoops - Thanks for giving me a minute of your time Kendall. I asked your coach about your game. How would you describe yourself as a player?

Kendall Griffin - Well, I'm supposed to be more of a slasher. My team needs me to score so I score. I'm supposed be a slasher, but right now I'm more of just a shooter.

PH - There's been a big change with Avon basketball this year. You played varsity as a freshman. So what's been the biggest change from last season to this one?

KG - Last year we had lots of problems. There were injuries. One kid quit. Another one got kicked off. By the end of the year, I was the only original starter left on the team. This year it's a lot different.

PH - What are your hopes for this year's team?

KG - I want to win County. I would really like to win Sectionals.

PH - Who's your main competition there?

KG - I don't know. I guess I'd say Brownsburg.

PH - Your just a sophomore and have a long way to go in your high school career. Do you have any personal goals for yourself in high school?

KG - Not really. I'd like to get some records, some Avon records. As a team, I want to win a State Championship. It would be cool to be on the All-Star team.

PH - Your coach mentioned that Tom Crean and Tim Buckley were at practice yesterday....

KG - Right.

PH - So how do you feel about all the teams recruiting you?

KG - It's awesome! It's great to get recognition. I really appreciate all the coaches who take their time and come.

PH - Who has come to see your practices?

KG - IU, Notre Dame, Purdue, Butler, Xavier, and Northwestern.

PH - Wow, some good schools there. What are you looking for in a school.

KG - Just what is the best fit. What fits me best as a player. I'm just looking around.

PH - Thanks for your time, Kendall.

KG - No problem.

Nice kid with a huge upside. He has a lot of room to grow as a player and will no doubt end up a big time D1 prospect!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've known Kendall and his family for years and years and there are truly no better people to be around.

I wish him all the success in the world, although I don't want to see Avon win Sectionals.

p-hoops said...

yeah, i've heard the same, and from my few short minutes with him, i can see he's a quality kid, which typically means a quality family. teachers and coaches at avon have told me the same. good luck to kendall!