CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 20, 2009

Tommy Eggleston Update: Commits!

One of the top uncommitted players in the Indianapolis is off the board. P-Hoops caught wind over the past few days that Heritage Christian senior 6'5 guard Tommy Eggleston was nearing a decision about his college future. Last night, I received a text message from Tommy about his decision, and this morning I was able to interview the standout player. Here's the transcript of the interview:

P-Hoops: Is it true you have made a college choice? If so, who is it, and what are the reasons behind your choice?

Tommy Eggleston: Yes. I just picked University of Wisconsin Milwaukee because of their great young coaching staff and the competitive league they're in. They get in the Tournament, and they're relatively close to home.

PH: Wow! Congrats. What was it like getting the offer from them?

TE: They offered me when I went up for a visit (during their victory over Butler), and by that time, I was almost positive I wanted to go there, so it was a great feeling to get the offer and it was somewhat of a relief.

PH: What did Coach Rob Jeter tell you about why they wanted you and how you'd help them and fit in?

TE: He said he really likes players who can do more than one thing, and liked my versatility. He said he also needed a knock-down shooter, so I hope I can help with that.

PH: Those are clearly some of your strengths. What things do you need to work on before you get to campus?

TE: I definitely need to hit the weight room hard this spring and summer. Also, my ball handling and off the ball movement and defense. I'm not nearly the player I want to be and I really think Coach Jeter can make me the best player I possibly can be.

PH: So when you called last night to commit, what did the coaches say?

TE: They just said they were real excited to have me.

PH: What personal and team goals do you have for the remainder of the season?

TE: Personally I would like to make the All-City Team. As a team, I think there's no limit on what we can do. I think if we get hot, we can make a run at State, and my goal would be to win State because I think this team can do big things.

PH: Heritage Christian is in the midst of a three game losing streak since being ranked as high as number three in 2A. What do you have to do to get a win against a tough Brebeuf team tonight?

TE: Execute. Whether it's offense or defense. We know what we have to do and we're capable. It's just a matter of going out and executing.

PH: Alright Tommy. Thanks for your time, and good luck the rest of the way.

TE: Alright, thanks!

Congratulations again to Tommy for this great achievement near the culmination of a great career as an Indiana high school basketball star. He joins another fellow Hoosier, Marion's JaRob McCallum as a future UWM Panther. P-Hoops will be keeping an eye on this Hoosier state hoopster and all the great things the future holds for him! Good luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, big thanks to P-Hoops for the interview. A lot of eyes in Milwaukee have read the transcript, we're excited to have him.

That being said, the name is UWM or Milwaukee; there is no "-" in UWM. Don't mean to be a bother, just clarifying.

Thanks again!

p-hoops said...

Thanks for the info! I will be sure to make the necessary chages from here on out!

Anonymous said...

Should be excited..his zero point game and the team's 20 point total the other night is enough to make any fan drool!

HC and TE are waaaaay overrated.

p-hoops said...

i will leave this comment up, but i like to keep it positive and uplifting to the kids who read this. i agree that tommy is not playing his best as of late, and heritage is REALLY struggling right now, losing 5 of 7. however, it seems that many think he has a ton of ability and potential, including all the area coaches who voted tommy first team all city last night. i think both he and HC will turn it around this week in time for Sectionals, which is way every team in the state plays for.

Anonymous said...

Paul Davis Is the man!! good luck tommy at the next level. it was disappointing to see that heritage lost in the first round, that was an underachieving team but Definately good luck to tommy!