CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 12, 2011

P-Hoops Interview: Tyler Alderman

One of the most under the radar players in the state is Fishers 6'9 center Tyler Alderman. I've known Tyler since he was a freshman and his progression as a player from then to where he is now is nothing short of remarkable. He has developed his game, his body, and his mentality into that of a division one athlete, a dream he realized earlier this year. I had a chance to converse with him recently, and here's a transcript of the interview. Enjoy!

P-Hoops - What are your current measureables?

Tyler Alderman - I'm 6'8 1/2", weigh 225 pound, and have a 6'11 wingspan.

PH - Do you have team goals for the season?

TA - Defense is our thing; offense will come to us from our defense. We have to defend or we will not be very successful.

PH - Fishers hasn't had a ton of basketball success. What are you doing to change that?

TA - I'm trying to fill the role this year that my team needs me to. Sometimes it may be a scorer, a rebounder, or a big defensive presence in the paint, or most times all three.

PH - You recently made your commitment. What made you choose Jacksonville?

TA - I fell in love with the school on my visit, and I just clicked with the players and coaches. It just felt right.

PH - What is the coaching staff like?

TA - They are real laid back off the court, but get down to business when they need to.

PH - Do you think distance from home is going to be an issue? Why or why not?

TA - Of course it will be hard not having my parents at my games. Especially my dad, who has missed maybe ten in my entire career. But at the same time, I don't think I will have a problem fitting in into a new environment and meeting new people.

PH - What are some games you have marked downs as ones you really want to win this year?

TA - Obviously HSE is a big one. We have have become one of the biggest rivalries in Indiana. Before fishers was built, we all were going to HSE together. We all grew up together and have been friends for years.

PH - What are some things you are working to improve on?

TA - My overall game. I am a firm believe in getting better every day. Every day I work on post moves and my mid range game.

PH - Who is the best player from Indiana you've played against? What stood out about them?

TA - Mitch McGary hands down. He is one of the strongest and most athletic big men I've every played and I wish him the best of luck at Michigan next year. The thing that stood out to me about him was his motor. He was constantly active and all over the ball defensively, especially on the help side. He probably had ten blocks on us when we played him at Cook Hall this summer.

PH - Who is the teammate you've had that was the most fun or best to play alongside, and why?

TA - I would have to say Michael Lenz and JP Pena. I started out in seventh grade playing with these guys and we are all still close. These two always found a way to get me going and helped me develop my game over the years. JP and I play at Fishers together, and I played AAU with Michael for the past couple of years.

PH - I've heard you've struggled on and off with injuries throughout high school and are finally healthy. True? What type on injuries?

TA - My junior year, preseason, I had hernia surgery and my wisdom teeth removed. So I missed conditioning and workouts the entire month of September. Then on Thanksgiving break i got mono and ended up in the ER on Thanksgiving. Over Christmas break, I got tonsillitis and played 48 seconds against HSE on January 4 where I thought i was going to pass out on the floor. I shouldn't have been there.

PH - Do you have any special "hidden talents" outside of basketball that people may not know about?

TA - Most people wouldn't believe it, and most don't even when they see it, but I can play the piano. I've never had lessons, but I taught myself and honestly, I'm not that bad (laughs).

PH - Now for some favorites. Any favorite quote? "When my time on Earth is gone, and my activities here are past, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass." - Bob Knight

PH - Food?

TA - Steak and mushrooms.

PH - Music?

TA - Country and rap.

PH - Pro teams?

TA - I love watching the Boston Celtics play.

PH - Thing to do besides hoop?

TA - Always love kicking it with my friends and family.

Thanks to Tyler for doing this interview. He's a great kid with a great game, but an even better personality. P-Hoops wishes Alderman tons of success this year and in the future.

0 comments: