CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 5, 2011

Kellen Dunham Interview

P-Hoops was fortunate to get an interview with one of the best seniors in the state, Pendleton Heights shooting guard Kellen Dunham. His exploits have been well documented on this site and others, and through the first four games of his senior season, he's led the Arabians to a 3-1 start while averaging 34.5 points a game. The lone loss came to 4A powerhouse Hamilton Southeastern, nothing to be overly upset about. And the Arabians will get a chance to avenge that loss later in the season during the holiday tourney time. Here's the transcript of the interview. Enjoy!

P-Hoops: Alright Kellen, can you tell me your current measurement?

Kellen Dunham: I'm 6'5", and 180 pounds.

PH: You guys have gotten off to a great start. What are the contributing factors to your and Pendleton Heights' early season success?

KD: We have been training very hard since the summer to be ready for the season. Coach Hahn has done a great job so far getting us prepared for every game.

PH: What are your personal goals for the season?

KD: My personal goals are to be Mr. Basketball and being an Indiana All-Star and getting myself prepared for the next level.

PH- Any team goals?

KD: We want to win every tournament and championship opportunity we can.

PH - So you're officially a Bulldog. What made you choose Butler?

KD - Everything about Butler is a perfect fit for me. They are a great school academically, and they have a great job placement rate. The basketball program knows how to win and I think I will fit in well with the style they like to play. The players and coaching staff are great and I look forward to becoming a Bulldog.

PH - What other schools had offered you when you made your commitment?

KD - Wright Sate and Ball State.

PH - Can you give me your thoughts on Coach Stevens?

KD - Coach Stevens is a very intelligent and all around great person. He is also a very successful coach that I will enjoy playing for. He is a winner.

PH - How does he say you'll be used at Butler?

KD - He said I will most likely play the "2" and run off screens to score.

PH - Does their slow start this season affect you in any way?

KD - No. Of course I am cheering for them to win every game, but they always play great at the end of the season when it matters the most. That is another thing that I appreciate about their program.

PH - Are you actively recruiting anyone to join you at Butler?

KD - No.

PH - How would you describe yourself as a player?

KD - I am a scorer and play maker. I work on my weaknesses to be the best player I can be.

PH - What are some things you are working to improve on?

KD - I need to work on my defense on and off the ball. I need to become more of a combo guard to help control the ball more on offense. Most importantly, I need to gain strength, speed, and explosiveness.

PH - Who would you say is the best player from Indiana you've played against, and what stood out about them?

KD - The best player I have played against is probably Nick Moore of Warsaw High School. Last year in the summer games at Butler and the Indiana All-Star Senior-Junior game, he always played tough and never took a play off. He would come at you every possession if he could. He is also such a versatile scorer and great rebounder for his size he is hard to contain.

PH - If someone asked you to make a pitch for yourself as the 2012 Indiana Mr. Basketball, how would you respond?

KD - I am happy to be a candidate ,and I am hoping for the best.

PH - And, some random fact questions: Favorite food? Teams? Thing to do outside of basketball?

KD - I love Olive Garden. I root for Butler, the LA Lakers, and the Colts. And I like to hang out with my friends besides hooping.

Thanks to Kellen Dunham for sharing all of these great insights and quality information. He's a great kid with a bright future. I expect him to be heavily considered for Mr. Basketball, especially if the first four games are any indication of how his season will play out.

2 comments:

ButlerWay said...

Thanks for posting this. It's going to be interesting to see how Dunham factors into the Mr. Basketball race. He's off to probably the best start so far. His ability to score efficiently is insane. We could really use some of that at Butler this year.

p-hoops said...

I think he's in the top three right now. No way voters can ignore his output, esp since he's put up 22 plus ppg since he's been a soph.