CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 14, 2008

One-on-One with Terone Johnson

The Boilers have a great one coming a few years down the road in 6'3" North Central shooting guard Terone Johnson. The junior exploded on the recruiting scene last summer after playing lights-out with the Indiana Elite LNO team, parlaying his play into several offers before deciding on Purdue. His is a strongly-built, compact scorer who gets buckets in a variety of ways: slashing, pulling up from medium distance, and showing his range from deep. He went for 17 points last night, a solid game as the Panthers spread the scoring around. Terone was nice enough to stay around after the victory to have a few words with me about his team, his play, his goals, and some of his thoughts on his and others' recruitment.

P-Hoops- T, thanks for your time. Great game tonight.

Terone Johnson- Thanks, man.

PH- So you have a very good team, highly ranked. What are your expectations for the team this year?

TJ- We just want to get better every day. We want to get better in practice every day. The competition in practice is fierce. We're taking it one game at a time. We want to win State.

PH- Any personal goals for this season?

TJ- I just want to be the best leader I can be.

PH- Any specifics on what you do to be a good leader?

TJ- Yeah, I've got to be an example for the younger guys, doing the right things at the right time, on and off court. I got to be the first one at practice, going hard all the time, things like that.

PH- So you're playing with a freshman in D'Vauntes (Smith-Rivera) that is getting a lot of hype. What's that like?

TJ- It's great. I don't care how old you are. If you can play, you can play.

PH- I know there are some teams who are recruiting D'Vauntes already, and some have offered. Does he talk about recruiting? Do you have any idea who is talking to him?

TJ- Not really. I know about IU and Purdue. I know Purdue is talking to him.

PH- So what personally drew you to Purdue?

TJ- They are close to home. They were on me for a long time, recruiting me for a while. I feel real comfortable with the coaching staff.

PH- I saw Coach Painter was here watching you.

TJ- Yeah, he's great.

PH- So what are your summer plans? Playing with Indian Elite again?

TJ- Naw, actually I am playing for Team Gordon. It's a new team EJ (Eric Gordon) is putting together and sponsoring.

PH- Wow! That's pretty cool. Any idea who's going to be on that team with you?

TJ- I know Dominique (Ferguson) and Justin (Martin) from LN. Maybe D'Vauntes. I think D'Vauntes is going to be with us.

PH- Terone, thanks a lot for your time. Really appreciate it.

TJ- No problem man.

Check back later on for a run-down of the LN - Luers game, as well as a one-on-one with Wildcat coach Jack Keefer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder who Coach Painter was there for....I think he got all those studs that were freshmen last year by jumping on them early....I'll bet it wasn't Johnson he was there for facetime!!!
ps this is becoming one of my favorite sites....do you blog for a paper?

p-hoops said...

Nope, just doing it in hopes of getting my name out there, maybe get picked up by a larger site like scout or rivals. painter told me he was there for terone and robinson, but there's no doubt he was also there to be seen by d'vauntes. you know crean would have been there too if IU hadn't played a late game in lexington. i see this one as a IU, PU, OSU battle for DSR.

Thanks for reading and for your nice compliments!