CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cool Coach Crean Story

My whole family coaches. It's a shared passion. Most of my cousins coach basketball, but one is a football coach. One of the lucky one is on a college staff. My youngest cousin, Steve, is starting his first year as a varsity assistant in Atlanta. He had the cool opportunity to fly home from a conference while sitting next to a college assistant coach with some ties to Coach Crean. I will just attach his email. It is simple, and nothing earth-shattering, but it's always great to know that IU hired the right guy for the job.

"The conference I went to in Charlotte all weekend went pretty well. The funny thing was on the plane on the way home I sat by Georgia Tech's associate woman's coach. She was really cool, she went to two final fours on Arkansas in the late 90's and has done really well with coaching.

Anyway we talked basketball most the way. The thing that I liked hearing the most was that she said Tom Crean is by far her favorite guys' coach. She said she has stopped by Marquette a few times and he is as helpful of Coach as there can be. It was crazy that a young woman's coach knew so many men's coaches, she told me she goes to coaches conferences all the time when she's the only female there and just enjoys networking. She was also an assistant for Memphis for a few years so she said had met a lot of coaches through Calipari. Anyway just thought I would share, good to hear from someone first hand (who's NOT in the media!) that we have a coach with some good personal qualities."

I loved reading that email. Good stuff on our new leader, Hoosier Nation.

0 comments: