CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 28, 2008

Welcome to the hoops blog

Hey guys. This is my first attempt at blogging, which my wife and her sister Erica put me up to. I have a lot of interests, but basketball coaching and recruiting is what I am really passionate about, so this blog will be mostly about those types of things. I forsee me writing a lot about the high school basketaball scene in the great state of Indiana, specifically the Indianapolis area where I coach, and about my favorite sports teams like the Hoosiers, Colts, Pistons. Maybe I'll write about the teams I despise, too, like the Illini and Boilers (sorry Marla!).
As the basketaball season opens in Indiana, I am most interested in the 2A class, since that is where I coach. It's going to be an unbelievably competitive class this year, more than any other I can recently remember. For starters, the two teams in last years' State Finals return their studs and look stronger than ever. Ft. Wayne Bishop Luers, last years champs, return their main man, Deshaun Thomas, an Ohio State commit. They look to dominate the northern half of the state pretty easily, IMO. But the runners-up, Winchester, look really tough, too. Tyler Koch returns, fresh off a verbal to Brad Brownell's Wright State squad, looking to get revenge for last year's questionable ending to the 2A title game. Their regional will be a difficult one to get out of, however, where they will likely match up against Heritage Christian from Indy. They return several key players from last years' sectional winning team, including Tommy Eggleston (15.6 ppg) and Morgan Cook (12 ppg). They also add one of the top freshman in the state in Joel Smith, a 6'6" guard who pays for the AAU D1 pipleine, Indiana Elite. There is also Tipton, who will be fun to watch with 6'8" Derek Elston, an IU recruit who Coach Tom Crean has to be excited about seeing in the cream and crimson. There are many other quality squads like Cardinal Ritter, Washington (Indy), Centerville, and others who will make 2008-2009 a really fun year in Indiana's 2A class.
We'll see where the season goes!

0 comments: